Post Title: Director –Fundraising (EMEA)
Reports to: Area Vice President for Europe, Middle East & Africa
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia strongly preferred; other locations possible (see below)
Annual Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package in the not-for-profit market! (Relocation assistance available for eligible candidates moving to Bratislava.
Would you like to lead an international, talented, passionate and results-oriented fundraising team to raise funds in the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region cutting across all income streams - institutional, foundations, corporate, major donors, and more? Habitat for Humanity International has a high-level leadership opportunity for a Director of Fundraising that will impact thousands of lives across 30+ countries in EMEA, and many more around the globe, through developing effective and strategic fundraising efforts.
As the regional lead for Habitat’s fundraising efforts in EMEA, you’ll focus on leading a team of around 12 staff members responsible for achieving projected annual revenue of no less than 20 million Euros/year currently, up to 50 million Euros/year by 2020, and work collaboratively in order to link Habitat’s regional fundraising strategy to the federated Global Funding Network countries in Europe and Habitat's global priorities to fund the overall mission.
Aside from being a demonstrated successful fundraiser in Europe who cares deeply about humanitarian causes, our ideal candidate is a strategic thinker who can also effectively operationalize strategy in order to implement it effectively. You are a savvy negotiator who understands the importance of listening to the client and navigating the nuances of nurturing professional relationships with various types of stakeholders. You also don’t mind travelling up to 40% internationally.
- Navigate multiple levels of complex relationships with key stakeholders (i.e. regional office, US HQ, national organizations, Global Funding Network) to develop, manage and lead a regional fundraising strategy with a focus on European sources that support HFHI priority countries and programs.
- Direct and manage the EMEA regional office fundraising team and annual revenue quota from sources including corporate, foundations/institutions/organizations, major gifts, affiliates and income-generating volunteer programs, such as Global Village.
- Manage the revenue and expense budgets for fundraising/resource development in EMEA.
- Coordinate and support the development of all major funding proposals (corporate, bi/multi-lateral donors, major donors).
- Identify, evaluate and implement plans for new fundraising innovations and high net worth markets.
- Direct and manage day-to-day operations of the department, including developing and coaching staff in budgeting, purchasing, strategic and operational planning, and reporting systems.
- Work collaboratively with the global HFHI fundraising/resource development and EMEA communications teams on developing Global Funding Network communication investment strategies, collaborative fundraising initiatives, global brand awareness and marketing initiatives including direct marketing and e-marketing.
- 10+ years of experience, including demonstrated professional fundraising experience, having asked for and secured an individual financial commitment/gift of at least 1 million Euros.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing a team of fundraising professionals.
- Minimum of 5 years’ fundraising experience in Europe.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Coaching, consultancy, and advisory skills.
- Understanding of the Europe, Middle East and Africa region and cultural environment.
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office suite).
- Fluent in English.
- Travel up to 40% internationally.
- MBA, Sales & Marketing, development, or other related Master’s degree.
- Portfolio of donor relationships specifically with European corporations, foundations and bi-lateral/multi-lateral funders.
- Fundraising experience in Central Asia, Africa and/or the Middle East would be advantageous.
- Fluency in additional European languages.
- Experience directing, managing, or coordinating organizations to achieve targets within a federated structure.
- Experience managing remotely-based staff.
1: Bratislava, Slovakia (preferred).Ideally, we strongly prefer to have this position based in Bratislava, Slovakia, which is a small, beautiful city in the heart of Europe. We have one of our regional offices here, as well as many of the fundraising team members. The cost of living is low and there are some wonderful places to visit close by such as Vienna (1 hour), Budapest (1 and a half hours), Prague (2 and a half hours), the Tatra Mountains (2 and a half hours), the Alps (2 hours) as well as numerous other attractions. The city itself is very easy to get around, has all the facilities you need and a lot of green open areas to relax in in the summer. The summers have Mediterranean temperatures with a lot of lakes to swim in and the beach of Croatia only 4 hours away by car. The winters are snowy with skiing and ice-skating readily available. Relocation to Bratislava would be provided to eligible candidates.
2: Other: Belgium, Germany, United Kingdom.We are open to considering alternate locations for this position, inclusive of Brussels, Belgium; Berlin, Germany; London, UK. Candidates are not eligible for relocation to non-Bratislava locations. Candidates must also already have permission to work in the EU, or if based in the UK, must have on-going permission to work there.
How to Apply
To apply for the post, please email a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post, and your suitability for this role, along with your CV/resume (no photos) in English in strict confidence BY EMAIL ONLY to Zoe Oldham at email@example.com
Please ensure that they are emailed as Word or PDF documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV”. Please put “HFH Director FR EMEA” in the email subject line and state how you found out about the job announcement. This is a rolling process and applications will be evaluated upon receipt. For candidates that are selected for the next stage of the recruitment process we anticipate Skype interviews taking place beginning 12th February and in person interviews in Bratislava, Slovakia in March 2018.
FINAL deadline for applications: Sunday 28 January 2018, 18.00 CET
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, colour, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.